A ferrofluid is a wonderous liquid that becomes highly magnetised in the presence of magnets due to its ferromagnetic particles!
When a magnet comes close to the fluid, fascinating black spikes will form as they are drawn out along invisible magnetic field lines.
Who doesn't love a shiny magnetic fluid that morphs into epic shapes in the presence of a magnet?!
The movements created by the Ferromagnetic Fluid are mesmirising and look fantastic when on display in your test tube!
How to use:
- Take a small amount (1-2cm) of ferromagnetic powder in the test tube.
- Fill the tube with water to the top, then seal the lid and shake.
- Your test tube will look full of black liquid. Use your magnet to collect the ferrofluid in the water and move the cluster around!
- You now have ferrofluid in your test tube!
For advanced use:
- Place a small amount (1/2 teaspoon) of your ferromagnetic powder in a dish.
- Add clear mineral oil or vegetable oil in small amounts, and stir in the powder until there is a smooth thick liquid on the dish.
- Introduce your magnet under the bottom of the dish. The liquid will move and form shapes in the liquid!
- Try holding the magnet a few cms from the bottom of the dish and watch the liquid change!
When the magnetic field is removed from the liquid, it will return to it's original liquid form!
Defy gravity as you bring your magnet down towards the fluid from above, and watch as it jumps up to meet the magnet!
Recommended for ages 8 and up (adult supervision required - things could get messy!).
Playing with ferromagnetic fluid is super fun, but spilling it isn't. Please ensure the lid is screwed on tight.
Ferromagnetic Fluid Specifications
Ferromagnetic Fluid Reviews
Be The First To Review This Product!
Purchased this product? Help other cool people shop smarter by writing a review for this.
These Go Well With The Ferromagnetic Fluid:
Cool People Also Bought
When people buy the Ferromagnetic Fluid they normally buy these too:
More Cool Things From This Category
Most popular sellers from the Cool Science Projects category: